Monday, September 17, 2012

NOCC Walk to Break the Silence (General News)

For the general news assignment in my photojournalism class, we had to photograph some type of newsworthy scheduled event. I had volunteered to photograph the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition's Walk to Break the Silence on Sunday, September 9 and I decided this would fit the assignment perfectly. Since I was assigned specific areas to photograph by the NOCC project manager, I found it difficult to focus on what I wanted to photograph specifically. It was also nearly impossible to get names and speak with people since my responsibilities as a NOCC volunteer came first. However, I was happy with many of the photos I took and enjoyed covering the event. I think a few of my photos would have definitely benefitted from having names or getting a quote, so I realize the importance of that for the future.


A volunteer puts teal paint on a cancer survivor’s hand to be placed on a banner commemorating survivors who were a part of the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition’s Walk to Break the Silence on Sunday, September 9, 2012. Before the walk took place, walkers had the chance to participate in activities set up at the North Park Boathouse to raise awareness for ovarian cancer and celebrate the survivors.  

A NOCC Walk to Break the Silence participant studies the wall of courage outside of the memory tent at the North Park Boathouse on Sunday, September 9, 2012. The memory tent honored those who battled ovarian cancer. 

An ovarian cancer survivor hugs a walk participant during the activities before the NOCC’s Walk to Break the Silence on Sunday, September 9, 2012. The walk, which took place at North Park, benefits ovarian cancer awareness and education programs.  
The ribbon is cut at the NOCC’s Walk to Break the Silence on Sunday, September 9, 2012. Walkers had the choice of a 1 mile or 5 mile route. 

Participants of the NOCC’s Walk to Break the Silence begin their walk on Sunday, September 9, 2012. Walkers included ovarian cancer survivors, their friends and family, and those who wanted to honor loved ones who were lost. 
An ovarian cancer survivor walks with her team of family and friends in the NOCC’s Walk to Break the Silence on Sunday, September 9, 2012. Several teams participated in the walk and showed their support with custom t-shirts and signs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment